Elephants Love

5937154ebc7e06d3b6384c46dd8e2af3

Some wish to die in contentment, in fulfillment knowing they have lived their lives to the fullest. While I respect this notion, I believe that the greatest mark of a life well lived is getting through both the joyful moments and surviving through the painful ones. There is a well known phrase that reads, “love kills”, I want the kind of love that does kill me; I do not want to survive through something as achingly beautiful as that. I want to surrender to that kind of pain because then I know it was real. I am willing to say that I gave up if it is in the name of love. I want elephant love. I want a deep, meaningful, admirable kind of love. The type of love that people look up too. The kind of love that you cannot live without.

If I have learnt anything lately it is that love has the power to make rational people make irrational decisions. Decisions they would not have fathomed that they would be making if they were not drunk on love. I am not saying that being drunk is admirable but I do believe that loving someone so deeply that they loose their two-senses, is too a certain degree, admirable. It can either reveal how much you truly love someone or it can show the opposite. It is admirable that someone would give up total control of themselves to freely love another. I want to do something unfathomable in the name of love; and if I die doing so then at least it was all out of true love, right?

The couple that look in love, the kind that are content with staring into each others eyes and ignoring the world around them; that’s what I want. I want to get so lost in someone’s eyes that I can never be found again. I want to love like elephants love and when this love is no longer available I want to be dead; so that I do not have to live in a world without this kind of passion for another human being.